Tipping point: Select Investment Partners confirms growing appetite for alternative investments
Alternative investments find mainstream favour with sophisticated retail investors and advisers
Sydney, 18 September 2013
A roundtable of leading Australian and international investors has today ratified growing interest in alternative investment instruments, saying the sophistication of providers has helped overcome historical obstacles.
Today’s ‘new breed’ investment managers – with a transparent focus on must-have liquidity and global capability – is helping to redefine alternatives as prized portfolio tools for retail investors and financial advisers.
“Australian retail investors lag international peers in respect of their asset allocation to alternatives,” said Winston Capital Partners Founding Partner and Managing Director, Andrew Fairweather.
“So we see strong upside potential to bring the best of local experience coupled with a global specialist. This enables us to bring an institutional quality offer with greater liquidity, transparency and access to investments and strategies not currently available to domestic investors,” he said.
The experts, drawn from specialist investment management group Select Investment Partners and its investment adviser Neuberger Berman addressed a special roundtable to map out the parameters for the ‘new alternatives’ approach.
“Select continued its journey to bring deep, institutional quality investment thinking and capability to retail investors earlier this year with the appointment of Neuberger Berman in an advisory role to the Select Alternatives Portfolio,” said Mr Fairweather.
“Today was a unique chance to hear first-hand perspectives from the investment professionals running the fund. It has helped to explain why Select Investment Partners believes alternative investing in Australia has reached a positive tipping point.”
Dominic McCormick, Select’s Chief Investment Officer, said:
“Alternative investment offerings to retail investors today not only have to help diversify a portfolio but they also need to be highly liquid, transparent, value for cost and global in scope. Select and Neuberger Berman are aiming to bring all these elements together in a high quality package”.
Mr Fairweather, whose firm distributes the Select Alternatives Portfolio, said the partnership of Select with Neuberger Berman is an exciting new partnership that brings unique opportunities to Australian investors.
“The Select approach has been to partner with a global brand in Neuberger Berman, while forging a best of breed investment committee including:
• Dominic McCormick, Chief Investment Officer and a founding partner of Select
• David Bell, current member of Select’s Investment Advisory Panel and consultant to Select;
• Thomas Good, former manager in debt and alternatives at the Future Fund, now an Investment Strategist with Select.”
“Select’s core principles of investor focus, investment rigour and original thinking continue to frame its activities in the Australian market,” he said.
“Neuberger Berman delivers Select Investment Partners significantly increased investment research, market leading technology and deep resources with a far broader reach for the Select Alternatives Portfolio.” Mr Fairweather concluded.
For more information, or to arrange an interview, please contact:
Select Investment Partners
02 8252 2200
NOTES FOR EDITORS
Select Asset Management – a decade of milestones and achievements
• Founded in June 2002 as a specialist investment management group focusing on wealth creation and capital preservation.
• Select Multi-Asset Portfolios (Select Defensive and Select Growth Portfolios) launched on 3 December 2002, the first retail multi-asset portfolios of their type to use a flexible and dynamic asset allocation process with a significant weighting to alternative investments.
• The Select Alternatives Portfolio launched in 2004, the first fund of its kind to be launched in the Australian marketplace.
• The Select Listed Investments Fund launched in 2005, a fund designed to access a range of opportunities in listed funds on the Australian Stock Exchange and across major world stock markets, this fund was the first of its kind offered in Australia, and aims to generate attractive long term returns from listed markets with the flexibility to invest in a benchmark unconstrained way.
• Launched the Customised Portfolio Service (CPS) in 2009 to enable independent dealer groups to partner with Select in offering multi-asset portfolio capabilities to their clients under their own brand.
• Select Fund Services established in 2012 to offer responsible entity services encompassing Select’s high standards of due diligence, fiduciary services and investor protection to a wide range of registered and unregistered managed investment schemes.
• Select appoints Winston Capital Partners in 2012 to provide fund distribution services both for Select’s current funds and some third party investment managers for which Select Fund Services will provide services.
• Grown to managing and administrating over $800m on behalf of investors across 20 funds.
About Select Asset Management
The Select Group was founded over 11 years ago in June 2002 as a specialist investment management group. Select Asset Management Limited, the holding company of the Select Group, now trades as Select Fund Services (Select FS) while its wholly owned subsidiary, Select Investment Partners Limited (formerly called Total Fund Services Limited, acquired in December 2012) trades as Select Investment Partners (Select IP).
Select IP is a specialist multi-asset investment manager and implemented portfolio consultant. Select FS operates funds as a Responsible Entity (RE) and Trustee for third party fund managers in addition to the funds managed or advised on by Select IP. Select FS has expertise across all strategies including alternative investment managers where the Select Group believes their investment management and operational due diligence expertise facilitates product structuring and governance.
About Neuberger Berman
Neuberger Berman has global reach with approximately 1,900 employees across 30 cities in 16 countries and manages US$214 billion in equities, fixed income and alternatives, with US$16bn in alternatives. It was founded in 1939 and is among the world’s leading private, employee-controlled asset management companies. Neuberger Berman has more than 400 investment professionals averaging 19 years of industry experience; portfolio managers averaging 27 years of experience. Neuberger Berman has already established a meaningful client footprint in Australia with institutional clients here across fixed income, equities, and alternatives, and has a significant retail presence globally and established relationships with Morningstar and S&P.